Friday, March 13, 2009

Resting through the fear

Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody. 1 Thessalonians 4:11-12

Well, we're adjusting to our "new normal" after baby Ryan arrived with a grand adventure on February 3, 2009! All is well here and I'm trying to get back in the groove of things in between naps, feedings and normal chaos.

Our sweet Father had a nice chat with me today. I use the term nice loosely... it was really one of his grace-filled, gentle scoldings. I love how you can be scolded yet encouraged at the same time. It's a God thing!

Anyway, as many of you know, our family has grown with the birth of Ryan about 5.5 weeks ago. My husband, Scott, was laid off in October and has yet to find any job that would be feasible to have 2 kids in day care. Since this journey began last fall, we've seen the hand of God deliver, provide, reassure and WOW us daily. We're keeping a long list of God moments from this season to show the boys and remind us of His power.

Speaking of that, it's funny how much like an Israelite I am. Scott and I were talking today about a situation that at this moment has no definitive solutions. Those types of situations (you know the ones that you can't develop a planned strategy to solve the problem) just make me anxious. So, I was operating in the flesh with this situation and then the enemy saw an opportunity to tack another one on. I started to fret about the pending medical bills, which we haven't even received yet. The Holy Spirit quickly brought Proverbs 3:5-6 and Philippians 4:6 to my mind. Immediately, our sweet Father questioned me, "Why don't you trust me with these things? Haven't I been faithful so far? Trust me!"

Today's verse choice is really all about trusting. It's fun to see how this blog is transorming from a focus on fear to trusting God. Hmmm... maybe that was the point! I remember really digging into this verse (1 Thess. 4:11) and not liking the idea that I had to lead a quiet life. I'm an enthusiastic talker and the thought of being quiet sounded boring to me. So I really struggled with this verse. Then I looked up the Greek word for quiet and it means peaceful or at rest. Praise Jesus! It made so much more sense. The more I trust Him, the more at peace I am which ultimately results people who don't know Him seeing Him through me. And I come to the understanding and freedom that I am dependent on no one but Jesus himself.

I'm reminded of the verses in Luke that describe the vine and branches. It's a great picture of surrender, rest and trust. I'm trying to live there more each day!

Be bold! Be brave! Be you!
Love & Prayers
Kim

2 comments:

Melissa said...

This was beautiful and very timely:) I needed that perspective. Thank you.

-t- said...

:)