Sunday, November 16, 2008

Waves of Fear

Exodus 14:9 – Only do not rebel against the Lord and do not be afraid of the people of the land because we will swallow them up. Their protection is gone but the Lord is with us. Do not be afraid of them. (NIV)

This verse comes from the time when Joshua and Caleb and 10 other guys went to spy and scope out the Promised Land. They spoke about how beautiful the land was. Then the one of the 10 guys spoke up about how large the people were and compared themselves to grasshoppers in comparison to their large stature. Joshua and Caleb were the only ones to speak up and say, “No, we can take them!”

Scott and I recently celebrated our 8th anniversary (I love you, honey!). We were preparing to get away for a weekend and I decided to look through my journal. Last year at this time we were going through one of those difficult times in our marriage. We went away to celebrate our anniversary then too. I wrote in my journal the following,
Scott and I took a stroll on the beach in the dark – very cool!
Saw a shooting star – quick, but amazing. Just what I needed to feel romanced tonight. Thank you, Jesus!
Saw the waves coming in and noticed that they’re a lot like our fears – they seem so big so far away, but once they get to you they’re really nothing but salty water ebbing to and fro.

Now, I know you’re probably thinking, well what about the waves with hurricanes and tsunamis? Well, those are the storms of life. God promises in Isaiah 43:1-3
But now, this is what the Lord says, he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel, Fear not, for I have redeemed you, I have summoned you by name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters I will be with you and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the Lord your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior.

I don’t know about you, but there are times when I can think about my circumstances and within a matter of minutes in my imagination have the whole thing turning into this monumental disaster. This is our enemy’s ploy to distract us from the One who holds the future and the One who knows the truth. If we focus on our circumstances and their size or severity we will be stuck there. If we are aware of our circumstances, their size and severity but choose to focus on God, our Rescuer and Redeemer, than we experience freedom and have the privilege of living out a child-like faith by trusting him through the circumstances. By no means is this an easy task, but it is one that is life transforming and worth all that it brings.

Be bold! Be brave! Be you!

2 comments:

Germanmutti said...

Hi Kim,
Thanks for your encouraging words. Today has been an especially terrifying day for me. I neede to be reminded that God is still in control.

Kara said...

Kim,
I love your blog! "Waves of Fear" was just what I needed this morning. Thanks for being obedient to our Father.
You stated exactly what the Holy Spirit had been whispering to me since I got out of bed this morning!

Love you!
Kara