Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Multitasking

Matthew 6:6 (The Message) - "Here's what I want you to do: Find a quiet, secluded place so you won't be tempted to role-play before God. Just be there as simply and honestly as you can manage. The focus will shift from you to God, and you will begin to sense his grace.


I just loved the way this paraphrase simplifies everything! 

The older I get, the more I'm realizing I'm terrible at multitasking. 

It's evident at home - I can't do the dishes and be with both my kids unless they do the dishes with me.  Then am I more focused on getting the job done or just having fun with my kids getting all wet as they help me with the dishes? 
It's evident at work - if I could just focus on one or two projects and get those done without people calling me and needing this or willingly taking on another project.  Sometimes I'm at the point where I stop being creative because a new idea means new project. 

The more I think about multitasking the more I believe we weren't made for that!  Our Heavenly Father so often requests that we take some time to focus (usually in prayer) or keep things in right priority and perspective. 

The truth is that multitasking is a myth.  We truly can only be doing one thing at a time.  That's the way God made us.  When we're distracted - guess what - we're focusing on something else other than what we originally wanted to focus on.  We can't have thoughts simultaneously.  We can't speak more than one word at a time.  While we can vacuum and talk on the phone - which gets the focus?  the floor or the friend on the other line? 

It's really about being free or giving ourselves permission to live in the moment.  This paraphrase says that when we focus on Christ rather than ourselves we begin to sense His grace.   I'm convinced that multitasking is a lie.  Multitasking is way over-rated. 

Who am I to think that I can multitask successfully?  Only the Creator of the Universe can be omnipresent and omniscient.  Who do I think I am?  Thank you, Jesus - I'm just me.  Hopefully headed to be more multitask challenged.

Love & Prayers,
Kim

1 comment:

-t- said...

i really like this paraphrase too.

just. be. there.
simply. honestly.
my focus will shift from me to Him.


i'm joining with you, my sister in learning and choosing to slow down & be in the moment.
remembering that when I do my focus is on Him, right where it should be!